Monday, June 9, 2008

[THIN] Re: My 64-bit Vista Ultimate PC keeps rebooting after installing SP1

Rod
First get into safe mode without networking by pressing F8 at startup and right click on  computer in the start menu and choose properties. Click on advanced properties link on the left, Under the advanced tab click on startup settings and uncheck the automatic restart choice. Reboot and logon normally.
 
Run msconfig click on the services tab.  Check the box to hide all MS services, then click disable all.  Reboot and see if the machine comes up.  If so it is a 3rd party service.  Next just start enabling the non ms services until it blue screens again and you should find your culprit.
Jim

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 8:48 AM, R W FALANGA <rfalanga@q.com> wrote:
I had previously installed service pack 1 for Vista Ultimate on one of my desktop machines several weeks ago.  And I have had no problems at all.  So I decided to go ahead and install the 64-bit version of SP1 onto my 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate.  However, that did NOT work.  In fact, it is rebooting itself over and over again.  I have heard that this sometimes happens, but I had also heard that Microsoft had come out with a fix for this issue, and then re-issued the service pack.  However, after installing SP1 for 64-bit version of Vista (I made certain I had chosen the correct version of the service pack) I am encountering this problem and do not know how to resolve it.  What do I do to fix it?  It will not allow me to log into fix, instead it spends its time going into the Windows Error Recovery window, from which I can do nothing, and then it restarts itself again.  So it is now in an endless loop.  This really sucks, as this IS my primary development machine!  So, I really need help here.  Please, let me know what I am supposed to do, or point me to where I am supposed to go, to get this fixed.
 
BTW, I have tried booting into Safe Mode, but that hasn't worked either as it just reboots itself almost immediately.  It does seem to hang, though, on a crcdisk.sys just before it reboots.


 
Rod
 




--
Jim Kenzig
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Presentation and Hosted Desktop Virtualization
Citrix Technology Professional
Blog: http://www.techblink.com

No comments: