Friday, October 17, 2008

[THIN] Re: OT: Logon with variable question

Hi thanks for the reply.  What I'm looking to do is fire off a job from Altiris but I want it to login with the local administrator for each server.

In Altiris there's a "user domain" box that has to have something in it (i.e., it won't work if it is left blank), and then username/password.  For everything done in our environment with Altiris we either use a service account, a domain admin account, or just set it to "system account".

However, for this one I want it to specifically login with the local administrator account for each machine.  So far none of the variables have worked.  So then I went to the local console of a machine and tried various logon methods and found that even there, %computername%\adamg or %userdomain%\adamg don't work, even though if I login with adamg/password/computername on their respective lines in the logon dialog, when I go to look at system variables, both of those are set to the current computer name.

Any other ideas? 

Adam

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Raffensberger, Stephen D <sraffens@sovereignbank.com> wrote:

Adam,

 

I fight the opposite battle but you can probably use what I use.

 

Set HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultDomainName to your "server1" name.

Then just login with a simple adamg and it will default to server1\adamg.

 

Actually, all you have to do is log on at the physical console using a local account and it will switch this for you.

Trouble is, whenever someone else logs onto the console using the domain, it will reverse it for you. I periodically run a batch file that sets it the way I want it.

 

HTH

 

Steve Raffensberger

Citrix Administrator

Sovereign Bank

1125 Berkshire Boulevard

Wyomissing, PA 19610

email: sraffens@sovereignbank.com

 


From: thin-bounce@freelists.org [mailto:thin-bounce@freelists.org] On Behalf Of Adam Granatela
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 4:35 PM
To: thin@freelists.org
Subject: [THIN] OT: Logon with variable question

 

Hey everyone, hope all is well.  I have another strange request that I was wondering if anyone has any insight on.

I'm looking for a way to use a variable to pull in the current computer name of a machine, but at login time.

In a standard 3 line Windows 2000/2003 server login screen I can login with something like:

server1\adamg
password
<third line for domain/local machine is grayed out>

Is there any way I can use a variable instead of "server1" up there so that the current servername is put in?  I've tried:

%computername%\adamg
%userdomain%\adamg

and a few other things including double %%, .\adamg, and quotes in various places.  If anyone wants an explanation as to why I need this I can go into that, but I've narrowed things down to the point where if I could pull in the current servername using a variable that it will give me everything I need.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Adam


This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete or destroy the message. Thank you.


No comments: