Wednesday, June 17, 2009

[THIN] Citrix license server version 11.6.1 needs a STRAIGHT JACKET

Okay, here's the scenario:

I have a Presentation Server 4.5 environment on a client site. I decided last weekend to apply
Rollup pack 04 to this environment. I also decided to update the WI from 4.6 to the latest 5.1.1;
update the AMC to 4.6.4; and update the Citrix License server to 11.6.1. It mostly went well except
the AMC now says that the farm cannot be reached, but you can still modify and farm and it's
properties. I'll work this one out later.

But here's the kicker – With a licence count of over 100, we started getting users not able to logon
after around 80 users. The user would get the error:

Citrix Presentation Server license acquisition error (-8): Citrix has detected improper system time
changes on this system that must be corrected. Your request for a license cannot be fulfilled.
Please contact your system administrator.

This was easy to work out, and just required the license file path to be reset (see CTX112942,
CTX103952, CTX111344). Everything appeared to be working again after this, until the next day,
the error appeared again. We stopped and started the License server and we were back in
business – for a short while. I figured that the license server may be corrupt, so I built a new
license server on another fresh IIS server using a new install of License Server 11.6.1. I got onto
MyCitrix, returned and re-allocated the licenses to the new server and downloaded them to the
License server. After uploading them on the new license server and everything appeared to be
okay, I ran lmstat –a. Again I got an error and had to set the license file path in the registry as
before.

I ran lmstat –a again, and this time I got an error saying that 20 out of the 100 license files
were "not suitable" for this server. I figured I must have spelt the host name wrong when I
allocated the licenses in MyCitrix, so I when back to MyCitrix and returned/ reallocated all the
licenses again, downloaded them and uploaded them to the license server.
Again I ran lmstat –r. This time it told me I had 200 available licenses. WHOOOO! This was
confirmed in the license management console – I doubled my license count!!! Now being an old
FROGGER nut from the 80's, I felt I had to clock the license count just for fun, like I used to clock
that nasty little frog game back in the arcade – 99999 and back to zero – love that frog! So off I
went back to MyCitrix, return/reallocate, download, upload – again and again and again – 300,
400, 500, 600, 700 and so on – WHOOOOOOOO!. And they all worked perfectly. I can't tell you
what number I made it too, but it was BIG!!!!

This experience didn't compare to the excitement of clocking FROGGER, but what a day. I thought
I would share.

Disclaimer: Ctrl-Alt-Del IT Consultancy does not ensdorse the use of this technique to gain
advantage over Citrix licensing.
--
Warren Simondson

Ctrl-Alt-Del IT Consultancy Pty Ltd

Website: http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com.au


************************************************
For Archives, RSS, to Unsubscribe, Subscribe or
set Digest or Vacation mode use the below link:
http://www.freelists.org/list/thin
Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist
Thin List discussion is now available in blog format at:
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com
Thinlist MOBILE Feed
http://thinlist.net/mobile
************************************************

No comments: