Friday, July 25, 2008

[THIN] Re: Virtualizing Citrix

An R900 is a HEFTY box.  4 sockets, all quad-core capable, 128 GB of RAM maximum.   I'm sure the Dell person was assuming a loaded up box with all 4 processors in it and gobs of RAM, a rather expensive venture to get into all at once.  I can see that box being able to handle 200+ users depending on application.  I virtualized a few remaining Citrix servers from an old environment and it's been a smooth sailing experience.  They are very low use since it was a turndown of something no longer used, but if I get into a similar Citrix environment in the future, I'll go straight into VMware with it.
 
Downside to that kind of setup is it's a lot of eggs in one box.That setup wouldn't sit all that well with me personally.  I'd rather go with a blade setup with a lot of separate blades for similar (maybe less) money and be able to spread that love around a little.  You'll still gain environmental benefits and increase capacity at the same time, while still maintaining a level of hardware redundancy.
 
All that being said, there's nothing wrong with those PE2850's, even if they are first gen units. A couple of my primary VMware servers run on those boxes still, chowing away just dandy.

From: thin-bounce@freelists.org [mailto:thin-bounce@freelists.org] On Behalf Of Minero, Hector B CIV NSWCDD, K55
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 9:29 AM
To: thin@freelists.org
Subject: [THIN] Virtualizing Citrix


Hi all,
I see all these messages going back and forth about virtualization, but not much information on how Citrix/TS behaves in a virtualized environment.

A tech./sales person from Dell came yesterday and told me that I could probably replace 7 of my PowerEdge 2850 with one beefed up PowerEdge R900 and virtualize the 7 Citrix servers.   I find that kind of hard to believe.

Each of my 2850's can handle about 30 to 40 users concurrently.   I just don't think that an R900 could handle 200 + users with virtual Citrix servers.

Is anyone out there using VMWare to virtualize Citrix servers in a production environment? 
What kind of hardware? 
How many virtual servers per physical server? 
How many users?


I would greatly appreciate your advice as I am new to VMWare.


_______________________________
Hector Minero
NSWCDD K55

No comments: